Re: Have I been hacked?

2015/01/09 23:46 "Danny" <mynixmail@gmail.com>:

> > You have completely failed to understand what fail2ban is telling you.
> >
> > > Anyway, I have decided to get new hardware and do a clean install of everything
> > > ... as many of you have suggested ...
> >
> > It was heading that way so it is probably best for you.
> >

> You sound like a heartless Seargeant Major in the Marines ... ;) ...

I'm afraid you're going to like my comments here even less.

> > > However, as I fly a lot internationally, is there a way I can temporarily block
> > > these country's IP's for a few days at most untill I have enough time on
> > > hand to do a fresh install ...
> >
> > What has flying got to do with it?
> >
> What I meant was that I fly a lot and don't have time in the immediate future to
> do a fresh install ... So I wanted a temporary stop-gap solution for a few days
> untill time would lend itself for the task ...

Which was why I was trying to tell you to quit wasting time looking
for shortcuts and consolation and re-install. Start with new hardware
if you can possibly afford it, to be safe and to save time.

Now it looks like your server needs to be off-line for a while until
you get back.

Also, once you're back up, you need a second, someone who can at least
pull the plug while you're out, preferably someone who can also help
you review your system design and implementation. Patience, and
willingness to listen while you ramble, can be more important than
technical expertise.

--
Joel Rees

Freedom costs in software, too.
How much, and what,
are you willing to pay for your freedom?