Re: How can g++ (stable) be incompatible with a fresh stable install?

Kynn Jones <kynnjo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 7:18 PM, Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:
>> Kynn Jones <kynnjo@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>     libc6-dev:
>>>       Installed: (none)
>>>       Candidate: 2.13-38+deb7u4
>>>       Version table:
>>>          2.19-13 0
>>>             750 http://debian.csail.mit.edu/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
>>>             750 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
>>>              50 http://debian.csail.mit.edu/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
>>>              50 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
>>>          2.13-38+deb7u6 0
>>>             995 http://debian.csail.mit.edu/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages
>>>             995 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages
>>>          2.13-38+deb7u4 0
>>>            1000 http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates/main amd64 Packages
>>
>> Your priorities for the different versions seem off. Security should
>> have to same priority as stable, not a higher one.
>>
>> And security should not need a higher priority, because security updates
>> (not already included via point-release) will always have a higher
>> version than the non-security package from the normal repository.

> OK, I thought I understood what was going on, but it turns out that
> I'm more baffled than ever.  (E.g. I don't understand why I'm given
> the *option* of setting a priority for security when in fact, if I
> understand you correctly, there's only one sensible setting for it,
> namely "identical to stable"...)

The option exists because there might be a use case for someone
somewhere. Just because an option is useless for you does not mean it is
useless for everybody.

>> Please post the content of /etc/apt/preferences and any file in
>> /etc/apt/preferences.d

> As I mentioned in my original post, my configs for
> /etc/apt/{sources.list,preferences}.d are based on those given here
> http://serverfault.com/a/382101.

Ouch. Please do _not_ follow that guide. The pinnings shown there are
dangerous and wrong, as you have seen. Please remove them from your
system. Please also remove any sources.list files with testing/jessie or
unstable/sid from your configuration until you have configured the
preferences correctly.

> It may have been unwise of me to follow those recommendations, but
> they are the best (actually, the only) ones I was able to find when I
> searched for apt configuration "best practices".  (I will resume my
> search now, of course.)

It is true that the pinning feature is under-documented and a bit
"arcane" to use. This may be because the normal user never has any need
of changing them.

What do you want to accomplish? To have some packages from Testing but
the majority of the system to remain Stable?

Then just pin testing to a value between 0 and 100 to prevent an
automatic upgrade of every package to the testing version.

To do so, please delete every preferences fil from
/etc/apt/preferences.d and just put on file with the following content
inside:

Package: *
Pin: release n=jessie
Pin-Priority: 50

You then can reenable any apt-sources for jessie.

This has the following effects:

a) All packages from Stable will automatically get a prio of 500
b) All packages from Jessie will get a prio of 50

Packages with a priorioty lower than 100 will never be installed unless
1) a dependency requests this or 2) the admin tells apt-get to do so.

To install a package, you then use "apt-get -t jessie install package".

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.