Re: help in purging old packages

> If you want to purge all packages which have been uninstalled but for
> which configuration remains: aptitude purge ?config-files
>
> If you want to purge all packages which are installed but which no
> longer have a candidate in debian: aptitude purge ?obsolete
>
> If you want to purge all packages which are installed and installable,
> but where the version is the same as in an earlier release... that's
> probably going to need some scripting :)

Also a good way:
Install package deborphan, then run
aptitude purge `deborphan --guess-all`.

Be carefull, what it wants do deinstall. However, I am using it regularly and
it did not deinstall accidently a package, I did not want to be deinstalled.
Ok, might be, I was lucky. If it does, I would just reinstall it.

I suggest, just to take a look and then decide for yourself.

Best regards

Hans