debhelper stripping debugging symbols

Hey list,

I am trying to debianize a personal package for native compilation. I
packaged it using the debhelper 7 syntax as aided with dh_make.

After customizing my debian/* metadata and scripts, I noticed that
dh_strip is still stripping debugging symbols from my executable, even
though debian/rules sets DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nostrip. The flag appears to
be totally ignored, or perhaps clobbered later?

        build log:
           dh_strip
        	strip --remove-section=.comment --remove-section=.note debian/my-tool/usr/bin/my-tool
           dh_makeshlibs
        	rm -f debian/my-tool/DEBIAN/shlibs

My debian/rules below. Any help appreciated

        <http://pastebin.com/4LL9dCCS>

Respectfully,

--
Kip Warner -- Senior Software Engineer