Re: Hard Drive Issues - smartmontools

On 01/06/2015 01:30 PM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Am Dienstag, 6. Januar 2015, 12:21:45 schrieb Jape Person:
Hello, folks!

Please help me save my old Sony VAIO desktop system.

I have two very old Sony VAIO systems, one desktop and one
notebook. They have PATA drives. I run Debian testing (updated
every day) on them. They've run testing (as a "rolling" release
using "testing" instead of the codename in sources.list) for years.

A few weeks ago when I upgraded smartmontools to 6.3+svn3990-1 I
started seeing warnings of uncorrectable read errors from the
e-mail notifier for both systems. The ensuing upgrades to
versions 6.3+svn4002-1 and 6.3+svn4002-2 didn't improve matters.

I edited smartd.conf to notify only in case of an increase in
the error count for both systems. The notebook has been quiet
since then, but the desktop continued to warn me every day.

I purchased a replacement drive (Maxtor DiamondMax 16, model
4R120L0). I installed testing on it, ran the short and long
tests from gsmartcontrol, and saw that both tests ended
prematurely with read errors. I didn't examine the logs from
these tests, but just sent the drive back to the vendor.

I purchased another drive of the same model from a different
vendor. I got the same results from the the short and long tests.

This time I recorded the results of the short and long tests and
am attaching them here.

How about cabling and controller?

That said, its a bit unusual at least that errors appear on two systems at
about the same time.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I should have mentioned that I swapped cables earlier on in the process with the first "new" drive, and it made no difference. The controller is part of the motherboard, so the only way it's getting replaced is if the whole system gets replaced.

Did you have time to look at the attachments I sent? What do you think about the 42,000 hours? This is a used drive, right? Unless there's some sort of anomalous behavior with smartmontools that can result in that figure being wrong?

I've never seen a new drive with those sorts of numbers on the smartctl log.

I appreciate your help.

Regards,
JP