Re: Late authentication

On 05/01/15 04:40 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Du, 04 ian 15, 17:02:12, August Karlstrom wrote:
I run Debian Wheezy with a simple window manager (Blackbox). If I remember
correctly, in Ubuntu some applications like Synaptic and Update Manager ask
for sudo password only when/if needed.

How do I configure the system so I can launch for instance Update Manager as
normal user, check if there are any updates available and then provide the
sudo password only if the system is to be updated? As Far as I understand
the authentication is handled by Polkit.
Not sure about Update Manager, but both apt(-get) and aptitude require
root privileges to update their information about packages available in
the repositories (which is required to determine if any updates are
available).

One possible way around it would be to do the update via something like
cron-apt, apticron, unattended-upgrades, etc. Those tools also do inform
you if updates are available ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei
For a while I was getting a notice every morning that there were updates waiting. I gather that this was something that was being tested in Jessie then removed. Anyway, having apt-get update run as cron job as root certainly does the trick and KDE (at least) shows a notification when updates are available.