Re: How to undo Java installation and settings

On 01/03/2015 05:12 PM, Dalios wrote:
On 01/03/2015 08:31 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
On 01/03/2015 03:06 AM, Dalios wrote:
Hello all,

a few days ago I had to install Java in a laptop in order for a web
application to be able to function properly. I followed directions
found in the internet (mostly the debian wiki and the Adobe
download page).

It would have been far easier to use synaptic, then check the java
packages that you wanted and let it install them. A couple of minutes
later and you would have been done.

   Now I want to uninstall Java and undo all settings
to go were I was before all this got started.

It would have been just as easy to uninstall the packages with synaptic.
But, since you opted to do all of those alternatives links by hand,
you'll have to delete them yourself. What webpage provided these
instructions? :) Ric

According to the info I found on the Debian wiki the package is not
there to be installed with Synaptic: "Sun Java is no longer available in
the repositories" (wiki.debian.org/Java/Sun).

That is correct. But the regular ole icedtea package and openjdk are in the repos, since they are "legit" to have.

I can't find the how-to that I followed to do the installation (when I
wrote the first mail this morning I thought that it was from the Debian
wiki but since I can't find it I assume that it is from a Debian user
forum or from a Debian derivative forum or something similar).

Anyway I purged the packages that were installed and I removed the
(symbolic) links that were created with the ln command.

But there are some commands that I don't know how to "undo" and if it is
even necessary. These commands are:
<snippage>

If you want Oracle Java then the easiest way to do it is to use the Oracle Java Installer from:
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/06/how-to-install-oracle-java-7-in-debian.html

It is sweeeet! And, it correctly sets all of the alternatives and adds some you might not ever heard of. It is complete, works flawlessly every time I've used it for the last several years. Plus, it updates automagically when needed, the Debian way. What is installed is just a script (that is the legal part for Debian) and it handles downloading Oracle Java 7, installing it in /usr/lib/jvm where it should be, and then setting up alternatives. The guy that did this is sharp! He also has a Java 8 version, which I tried, but I settled back on 7. Enjoy! Ric

Linux user# 44256