Re: A capability in the IMAP protocol.

On 01/02/2015 at 04:06 PM, The Wanderer wrote:

> On 01/02/2015 at 03:01 PM, Peter Easthope wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does the IMAP protocol allow retrieving a message, body included,
>> from a server and then deleting from the server while keeping on
>> the client? This might be described as simulating a POP behavour
>> in IMAP.
>
> IMAP allows retrieving a message, and IMAP allows deleting a message,
> so this can certainly be done. (As long as the server actually
> respects the delete command, rather than archiving on delete or
> something like that, but that would be server-specific.)
>
>> If the protocol allows this, is the capability implemented in most
>> clients?
>
> I don't know of any which do it automatically, even as a toggle-able
> option, but I could do it with Thunderbird message filters easily
> enough.
>
> Just set up a message filter on the IMAP-server Inbox folder with a
> "Copy Message" action (which copies the message to a subfolder under
> Local Folders), followed by a "Delete Message" action (which deletes
> the message from the source folder, which is on the IMAP server).

Or now that I think of it, just use a "Move Message" action - since to a
computer, a move is just a copy plus a delete.

I actually do that myself, routinely; the vast majority of messages I
receive are via mailing lists like this one, and every single one of
them gets filtered into its own folder under Local Folders.

I also manually go through the Inbox, about once a year, and move all
messages more than a year old into a manual archive folder under Local
Folders.

--
   The Wanderer