Re: wordperfect 5.1 for unix, and debian?

On 12/20/2014 11:00 PM, Charles Kroeger wrote:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 18:20:02 +0100
Gary Dale <garydale@torfree.net> wrote:

Still don't know what you have against LibreOffice. It's almost
certainly superior to WP51 in every significant way.

WP5.1 users have to have 'reveal codes' or they can't use anything else.

Don't know about 5.1--that's too old for me to remember, altho I did use it at one
time. But Reveal Codes is a really useful tool, and AFAIK, you don't _have_ to use
it. The other thing that's really nice is the ^w feature, that brings up 10 windows
(one at a time) full of all kinds of odd-ball characters, some that you can't get
on the Compose key--or you would probably have to look up. Interestingly, Microsoft
copied that verbatim in one of the versions of MS Word! Then they dropped it. Maybe
the WP folks sued them?

(IIRC, 5.1 is not a graphic program. I think it competed with a non-graphic MS Word,
and WordStar. I used WordStar on CPM and then on DOS until I discovered WordPerfect.
Even after WordStar disappeared as a word processor, Turbo Pascal used its conventions
in programming. [I wish we still had Turbo Pascal--the earlier version without all the
added nonsense!])

--doug