Re: [Preseed] Partman expert recipe Error

claude juif wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> I've read this doc
> http://ftp.dc.volia.com/pub/debian/preseed/partman-auto-recipe.txt where it
> says :
>
> <maximal size> is the maximal size for the partition, i.e. a limit
> size such that there is no sense to make this partition larger.
>
> The special value "-1" is used to indicate unlimited partition size.

Hmm...  Sounds good.  Thanks for pointing out a reference.

> So i was thinking this value could work. I've find some example where they
> you have to put huge value like 10000000 to use all available space left.

One thing I don't like is that the last partition is always as large
as possible.  When using lvm I would rather limit the size and keep
the rest in reserve.  Using a /dummy placeholder is the only way I
have found to do that so far.

> I've tried so many things to make it works that i can't really remember why
> i try to create an extended partition explicitly for lvm

Without keeping very careful notes in a lab notebook it is easy to
have all of the attempts blur together.

> > Since having a separate /usr isn't supported anymore I didn't include
> > it.  Feel free to modify this to do so however.
>
> I've read many things about /usr not supported anymore, but the debian
> installer let you choose the multi partioning scheme which use a separate
> /usr. So i assume it was correct as long as i use an initrd.

If you have a separate /usr currently everything will still work
fine.  But there has been so much <del>flames</del> discussion about
it that I wouldn't recommend setting up new systems that way.  I am
not going to write more here about /usr since there is already a huge
amount of discussion available elsewhere.

> I'm not really comfortable mixing mysql data or others stuff like that
> (which are in /var/lib/mysql by default and can grow a lot) with my logs
> files even with logrotate. But it's only my opinion.

Oh, /var/lib/$FOO.  In that case why not make a partition specifically
for /var/lib/mysql or other /var/lib/$FOO things?  That is what I do.
I always allocate as specific lv specifically for large disk uses like
mysql or apt-cacher-ng or or kvm whatever.

> > Then after the creation later I unmount /dummy and lvremove the
> > partition putting that disk space back into the free list.  That space
> > would then be available later to increase the size of any partition
> > you wish.
>
> I want to automate install with foreman, and i really want not to have to
> do things manually or create special puppet module to override my default
> scheme. I prefer to set a good scheme at start and stick with it. I can
> still enlarge lvm volume with other disks later for special need.

I understand.  Sounds good.

If I had my choice instead of partman I would shell out to an external
script that I would write to handle the partitioning and file system
creation.  I keep thinking there must be a way to do that.  It would
then make a lot of this much easier.  (Easier for me anyway.)

> So i finally ended up with this recipe :

I think you duplicated that paste.  But regardless I am happy to read
that you solved your problem.  Good deal!

Bob