Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

Le Monday 08 December 2014 15:40:03, The Wanderer a écrit :

> This thread is about complaints about not being able to interrupt /

> abort / cancel an already-started boot-time fsck.

This thread is about using one's computer quickly after turning it on. An unexpected un-interruptible fsck is seen as an obstacle to this.

To summarize the best solution proposed so far, I have to

1) adjust automatic fsck to my taste: tune2fs -c X -i Y /dev/whatever

2) add "fsck.mode=skip" to the default grub entry.

3) add an entry to the grub menu to run fsck as it used to be (that is without the fsck.mode option).

Steps 2 and 3 may be automated with some changes to /etc/grub.d.

To use my computer on any average day, I let it boot without any check using the default grub entry. New Debian installs don't check ext partitions at all (at least on the computer I'm using right now) so there is no loss of functionality.

When I feel the need to check my file system and I have enough time to do so, I boot the computer with the alternate boot option. If the file system was checked recently, it will just boot as quickly as the default grub option. But if it is time to run fsck, it will do so but I don't mind as I knew it was a possibility.

That procedure seems perfectly fine to me unless i completely forget about running fsck. To this the mountinfo script (http://nwalsh.com/hacks/mountinfo/) was proposed by Curt. It is a solution but I would prefer a desktop widget for this purpose. If any one is capable of creating one, please let me know.

Now, is it possible to run fsck during shutdown? Users have been asking for this for at least 10 years. Is it now acceptable, possible, tolerated?

Frederic