Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

Hello Bonno (my bad i forget to say hello :( )

If you have some kind of monitoring system, you can monitor tune2fs output and raise an alert if mount count is close to maximum mount count. So you will be warned about fsck on next reboot, and you can delay it by adjusting maximum mount count, or reset counter.

Anyway, i'm agree with you on some point, but the problem is only about auto fsck, not about fsck on system failure.

Hello Claude,

>> > Actually, it's *always* a surprise.  These fsck happen at long enough
>> > intervals, that I can never know if it was "4 months ago" or "7 months
>> > ago", and neither can I remember which laptop/desktop has the delay set
>> > to 172 days vs 194 days vs 98 days vs ...

> Maybe you just have to make partitions. Il your rootfs is 1To it's gonna take 2 hours to run fsck, but if you have smaller partition like
> - /        => 10G
> - /usr    => 10G
> /data ="" 1To, it's gonna take 5 mins.
>
> Just update your fsck to check only / and /usr so you know your system is clean. And you can run run fsck yourself for /data.

So how would I schedule a fsck of a single partition when I, and my other users, are asleep?
Write a script to do a umount, fsck, mount and start it with crond? When would I run that script, each day / week / month / ...? How much unneeded downtime would that create?

> So you are in control !
>
> You can't ask developer to handle every single case of your life.

Actually, THAT is the very reason we ask for the option to be able to cancel a running fsck. You can never predict EVERY situation when fsck would be run but needed to be avoided.
Maybe I asked a non tech to simply turn on the machine, how technical does one need to be to do that. I would most certainly instruct such a person to NOT make any choices during boot but let it run with the default.
All those suggestions with auto changing the boot options would not help and the system would run fsck. With modern harddisk sizes that would pretty much guarantee that the disk would be >500GB or even >1TB. That person would then call me and I would know exactly what is going on but my only choice would be to say, touch luck, just wait. Too bad you will now be too late for .....

BTW I have been misspelling fsck as fschk in the few mails I sent today, that might give you some idea of how often I have to type that command. ;-)

Bonno Bloksma