Re: no microphone in skype

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 12:34 PM, Andreas Weber <aendu@worldwideweber.ch> wrote:
> On 2014-12-06 05:28, Gary Dale wrote:
>> The problem is that Skype uses proprietary codecs and closed-source
>> code. They're simply not very good at keeping it working with Linux.
>
> Skype _is_ the problem. Try out Iceweasel/Firefox 34 and its built-in
> WebRTC - it works perfectly. At the moment you don't even need a login.

I do not understand what you mean here. As per
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebRTC , WebRTC is just an API. What is
the equivalent of Skype that uses WebRTC?

> Or simply use Hangouts. There's no need anymore for sticking with
> Microsoft code on Linux if you want video calls and destop sharing.

I use Skype mostly for video calls. For some reason, the quality from
skype is way better than Google Hangouts. If it is not Microsoft code,
you will be using Google's code. Both of them are proprietary. So I do
not see what the big gain is here.

raju