Epson XP-820 Small-in-one

I bought the XP-820 because it was on sale and could print to CD/DVD - a feature that I liked about my earlier Espon R-320 printer. Unfortunately the XP-820 needs the Epson escpr driver while the R-320 used the Cups-Gutenprint driver. The former doesn't seem to include the print-to-CD/DVD feature that the latter has.

There is a work-around, of writing to an SDHC card then inserting the card into a lot in the printer and using the printer's control panel to print a design to CD/DVD. This is quite cumbersome so I'm hoping someone has a method of getting the XP-820 to print to CD/DVD from Linux.