Re: Stale file in Debian after change of equivs package

On Tue, 02 Dec 2014, mad wrote:
> I am using equivs to create simple packages with dependencies and a few
> files.
>
> Now I removed one file from the equivs package and installed the
> resulting deb file. The deb file does not contain the file but dpkg did
> not remove the old file and says that the file belongs to the package.
>
> What did I do wrong?

Files in /etc are usually conffiles, which are not removed on upgrade by
default. Presumably equivs is following standard practice, and marking
them as such unless you do work to avoid it.

If removal is what you want, see dpkg-maintscript-helper's rm_conffile
for code which will enable you to safely remove the conffile.
[Alternatively, if this is a private package, and you're sure that
test1.conf will never be needed, you can unconditionally remove it in
the new version's .postinst or similar.]

Any excuse will serve a tyrant.
 -- Aesop