Re: Debian 6 gone wonky overnight

On 12/01/2014 12:21 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
I am running Debian 6 on this computer.
Overnight, the appearance of the GUI has changed (running GNOME 2.x, I
think), with tab labels (if that is the correct term) changed in
appearance, so theat they take many times as much length, now allowing
only about 6 tabs to be displayed in a window, and, the network icon
in the taskbar, persistently shows "No Network Connection", even
though the network connection is funtioning normally.
Also, once again (it happens from time to time), in printing a
document via Open Office, where each '1' is displayed on the screen, a
'p' is printed in the printed version of the document.
Is the last set of updates, wonky, or, has some sort of virus, struck?

Have you checked your hardware?

1.  Power supply:

http://www.legitreviews.com/antec-atx-12v-power-supply-tester-review_267

2.  Memory and CPU:

http://www.memtest.org/

3.  Hard drive (varies by manufacturer):

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

I just rebuilt a machine that was acting very strangely -- the owner thought it had severe malware. I tested the power supply, and the +3.3 VDC rail was bad. So, I replaced the power supply, re-imaged the system drive, and updated.

David