Re: Why focus on systemd?

Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> writes:

> On 29 November 2014 at 07:05, lee <lee@yagibdah.de> wrote:
>> Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> writes:
>>
> <snipped>

>>> Hyperbole much?
>>
>> ?
>
> "the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device"

What you consider exaggerated and what not is your opinion.

>>> It lost. Developers are not being forced to do what they don't want.
>>> The winner was "developers will work it out themselves" i.e. Debian won.
>>
>> Huh?  Does that mean that the users are left to deal themselves with the
>> problems that could arise from this?

>>> Freedesktop just provides hosting. Substitute Sourceforge for
>>> Freedesktop and see how well your "theory" flies.
>>
>> "freedesktop.org is open source / open discussion software projects
>> working on interoperability and shared technology for X Window System
>> desktops. The most famous X desktops are GNOME and KDE, but developers
>> working on any Linux/UNIX GUI technology are welcome to participate."[1]
>
> How does that demonstrate that the systemd project is not "hosted" by
> freedesktop.org?

Why would that be relevant?

?

> <quote>
> Software
>
> freedesktop.org hosts any "on-topic" software projects</quote>
>>

>> [1]: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/

>>> Please replace "we" with "I" - it gives the misleading impression you
>>> speak for the vast majority when you only speak for yourself.
>>
>> Please learn to read and to understand what you're reading, and you may
>> find that I was asking questions.
>
> You could learn a lot about yourself by eating your own dog food.
>
>> To draw a map for you, try replacing
>> "we" with "users".
>
> Save your crayons. I'm a Debian user. I "wouldn't be better off using
> Windows". You speak only for your self, not "everybody" (or even a
> significant majority) and it would be presumptuous to believe
> otherwise don't you think?

Then why are you so persistently trying to say that I would be speaking
for anyone?

>>> Note that opposition to *the choice* of using systemd 'probably'
>>> constitutes less than 1% of users. Noise, repetition, and FUD doesn't:-
>>> ;increase that percentage
>>> ;give you credibility
>>> ;justify your bullying
>>> and works against those that have genuine problems with systemd.
>>
>> And why do you mention this here?
>
> To provide constructive advice on "how to get along with a
> *community*. Not in the expectation that everyone cares. "Community"
> includes all sorts, including minorities that many don't want to
> embrace.

And what's your point?

> <snipped>
>>
>>> The appropriate, polite way to deal with things you don't like - is
>>> speak *once* and state your case fully when you do. It's healthy to
>>> express concerns - it's unhealthy, to all, when you flood forums with
>>> them. The means justifies the ends - and bullying doesn't end well.
>>
> <snipped example of how not to act>

Whatever ...  You should have snipped your own posts to begin with.

Anyway, you didn't contribute anthing to what the OP said, and I don't
find this part of the discussion worthwhile at all.

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.