Re: Challenge to you: Voice your concerns regarding systemd upstream

Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Am Sonntag, 28. September 2014, 11:18:22 schrieb Steve Litt:
On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 11:02:35 +0200

Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
Am Freitag, 26. September 2014, 14:51:01 schrieb Miles Fidelman:
John Hasler wrote:
Miles Fidelman writes:
the technical committee selects takes a vote that essentially
imposes systemd on all of the upstream developers and packagers
Where the hell do you get that from?
Isn't that effectively what happened?

If I'm an upstream developer,  and I want my stuff to run on
Debian, I now have to include systemd init scripts (or the
packagers do).

Sure, it's "voluntary" - but not really.
Oh, the same way I could say:

I am forced to write init scripts for a package. As I recently just
did:
The difference being that the Linux *you* originally moved *to*
required init scripts. Nobody changed everything on you.
Well with that I can argue to better never change *anything*.

Backwards compatibility is a wonderful thing - particularly when it comes to platforms.

Miles Fidelman