Re: Challenge to you: Voice your concerns regarding systemd upstream

Am Sonntag, 28. September 2014, 07:51:14 schrieb The Wanderer:
> On 09/28/2014 at 05:34 AM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > It may also be true that systemd upstream won´t be willing to
> > implement the change you want to see. But if you choose to keep
> > your power with yourself, instead of giving it to others, you are
> > still powerful, even in that case. An there are other options to
> > create change.
> >
> > I also still believe that if systemd developers did completely off
> > the limits think, they would quickly be forked.
>
> The trouble with that is that some (many?) people think they already
> *have* done completely off-limits things, and yet many other people are
> arguing that those things are not completely off-limits, and/or that
> their benefits outweigh that beyond-the-pale status.
>
> As I've said from fairly early on (on debian-devel, not here), there are
> fundamental philosophical differences about software design between the
> sides here - under and below any differences in what
> currently-manifesting practical behaviors each side does or does not
> consider a problem.
>
> (Those differences go beyond just "people who object to systemd" vs.
> "the systemd developers, by the way. They also extend to "people who
> object to systemd" vs. "people who think there's nothing wrong with
> systemd", and/or "people who may see things wrong with systemd, but
> don't think there's anything wrong with its being (made the default /
> installed automatically)", et cetera.)

I believe that if there are enough people with those concerns who decide to
act, there will be an alternative to systemd. Its as simple as that. It always
worked this way in free software.

So it always comes back to the challenge I called out for.