Re: systemd and server use

Am Freitag, 26. September 2014, 13:02:16 schrieb The Wanderer:
> > Martin,
> >
> > I don't think anybody's complaining about those features. Those
> > are excellent features that should be done in PID 1.
>
> Actually, some people (I believe including me) are in fact complaining
> about the inclusion of the cgroup-management feature in PID 1. Not
> because there's anything wrong with the feature, but because it
> shouldn't be handled in PID 1, because...
>
> > The only *technical* thing people are griping about is the
> > gratuitous entanglement with all sorts of other things, including
> > user programs and GUI window managers/desktop environments.
>
> ...of this. The inclusion of cgroups management in PID 1 (and nowhere
> else, except by way of an independent break-the-systemd-entanglements
> project) is, AFAICT, *the* major source of the in-practice dependencies
> resulting from that entanglement.
>
> Whether there are technical obstacles to implementing it equally
> effectively outside of PID 1 is a potentially fair question, and not one
> to which I yet have an answer. The existence of cgmanager seems to
> indicate that it can at least be implemented reasonably effectively,
> however, even if not necessarily equally so.

As far as I remember Lennart or another systemd developers explained in detail
why it was done this way, and that it can´t be done in any other way.

I am always cautious with limiting sentences like "can´t be done" tough. Cause
inventious inventors often enough proved previous "can´t be done" to just be
plain wrong. Better would be to say "I don´t know a way to do it *right now*"

Well it might be good to summarize things. An idea to do this might be to
start splitting this thread in "concern #1: this and this… ", then elaborate
just that in a sub thread and in the end summarize it, or use a wiki or start
with what boycottsystem people have wrote.

Make each point short and to the point, yet concise enough and filled with
examples that demonanstrate the issue.

And for what you wrote: use less d might be what you are looking for? Maybe
someone wants to package it for Debian? I bet, if uselessd upstream is serious
about what he – I guess the person behind it is a male, but I am not
completely sure as the webpage itself does not seem to disclose his or her
identity – did, sooner or later someone will package it for Debian anyway. We
have upstread, openrc and sysvinit of which the later two and systemd is
selectable in init-select so what gives.

Ciao,