Re: systemd/cgroups changing permissions

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 3:56 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/22/2014 10:27 AM, Chris Bannister wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 10:35:59AM +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
>
>>> When I can, I'll file a bug report. If ever.
>>>
>>> I know the theory, so I don't use those, so it's not a high priority for
>>> me.
>>>
>>> If you are interested, read the manuals,do the math, it falls out, even
>>> though the manuals are written with a certain bias.
>>
>> So why post what you did above? Could you please stop spreading FUD!
>
> And people blame the devs for not diving head first into this intellectual
> swamp. :/ Ric

Sigh.

The devs are supposed to be assuming responsibilities. That does mean
they should be learning the theoretical underpinnings of the
packages/functions they maintain, and not just the code.

It does not mean they have to be God and know everything about
everything yesterday. It just means they've accepted responsibilities.

If I had had the time to accept responsibilities for packages, I'd
have already built most of what systemd does, as a set of independent
daemons, optionally installed, behaving themselves well at any pid not
1, years ago. Since I can't set the time aside without robbing my
family of what little of my time they are getting, I am not stepping
forward to accept responsibility I would be unable to carry.

We do need a better structure for devs to discuss areas of their
responsibility with users, I think.

Now, Ansgar had a question, which you clipped. A technical question:

I told him to read the manual because I don't have the time to walk
him through it. (If you ask why I have time to respond to you,
raspberries to you.)

Figuring out what he knows is likely to take several hours of
back-and-forth unless he knows the theory already and is familiar with
the source, in the latter case it'll take less time for him to figure
it out himself than for me to explain it to him. And if he knows that
much and I'm wrong, I'll be glad to hear him tell me so.

The only way I can say you have a leg to stand on in questioning my
response is, if you know more than either of us, in which case correct
me. Or, if my original assertion wasn't clear enough, and you want me
to clarify, ask me.

Otherwise, get off your high horse and test.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.