Re: embrace, extend, extinguish

On 03/09/14 06:54, Erwan David wrote:
lauching systemd-logind (which they do) is actually requiring it, no ?

Point. (I find myself instinctively reading "requiring systemd" as "requiring systemd as PID 1", so I tend to say "requiring a component of the systemd suite" when talking about things that depend on, say, systemd-logind or systemd-udevd.)

(samething that all those softs which start gconf daemon)

Did someone try to *remove* pam-systemd from their configuration ?
(after all if I do not use the feature, I should be able to configure the system for not using it).

I haven't tried it. However, I've now had a look at the situation in Debian jessie as it currently stands, using the interactive mode of the aptitude package management tool.

To remove the package libpam-systemd from a current Debian jessie system, you have to remove the packages gdm3, gnome-bluetooth, lightdm, policykit-1, udisks2, and network-manager.

(I dare say many of the people who are opposed to depending on systemd components would say "no loss there, then" about some of those.)

Various desktop-environment metapackages all result in installing at least one package that has a Depends: entry for at least one of the packages listed above:

* Metapackage gnome-core Depends on gdm3, gnome-bluetooth, and policykit-1-gnome, the last of which Depends on policykit-1.

* Metapackage kde-standard Depends on polkit-kde-1, which Depends on policykit-1.

* Metapackage task-lxde-desktop Depends on lightdm, and metapackage lxde Recommends it. Metapackage lxde-core does not even Suggest lightdm.

* Metapackage mate-desktop-environment-core Depends on mate-polkit, which Depends on policykit-1.

* Metapackage razorqt depends on razorqt-policykit-agent, which depends on policykit-1.

The following x-display-manager providers do not have a Depends reference that would automatically drag in one of the packages that Depend on libpam-systemd:

* kdm
* slim
* wdm
* xdm

And of course, various standalone providers of x-window-manager do not Depend on libpam-systemd.

So as far as I can see, yes, you *can* install a Debian jessie system with a GUI and an X display manager that does not require libpam-systemd. (Unless you want to use the full functionality of an HP printer, since at least as built in Debian jessie the package hplip Depends on the package policykit-1.)

Something you can't do, though, is install a *fully-featured* GNOME, MATE, KDE, LXDE, or RazorQt desktop environment.