Re: portability of jigdo

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 19:26:08 -0700 (PDT)
Rusi Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Nowadays, P2P is the leader of this kind of download (the
> > checksum insure no tampering of the whole).
>
> Dunno what you mean by P2P. Bittorrent?

Yep.

> My understanding is that jigdo and bittorrent solve different
> problems (and can be effectively used together)
>
> jigdo will figure out the contents (files) packed into an ISO and
> not transfer repeats. This can significantly reduce transfer-sizes.

Jigdo charges pieces of eg, an ISO, from all _known_ servers.

You may also have to design servers ISO slicing (which _must_
be the same for all servers)

> P2P is for more efficient net usage and not loading individual
> servers (though I dont know too much about it)

P2P founds other _anonymous_ peers that have the ISO you
want, connect to them, and download pieces of the whole.

When the last chunk has been download, the whole ISO is
reassembled from all pieces.

The P2P client can download parts from another client that
doesn't have the whole ISO yet (hence the advantage: an almost
total rapid loss of load for the original server(s)).

Eventually, the ISO checksum is verified when rebuilded
(well, each part you downloaded from another peer also
has its own checksum, so if you download a bad part, it
is rejected).

The more peers your client founds, the faster you download,
becoming also a server during this time (and after if your
client stays open and your ISO's at the same place).

--
<lea06> I'm so naive that you could have me swallow anything
<cch> it's good to know that… :p