Re: networking fails with temporary systemd (was auto starting of ppp has stopped working)

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Rusi Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, August 14, 2014 9:10:02 PM UTC+5:30, Tom H wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Rusi Mody wrote:
>>>
>>> To add to my earlier report:
>>> I managed to remove graphviz and its associated libraries.
>>> So that now aptitude dist-upgrade gives me only 1 'issue' :
>>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>> systemd-sysv : Conflicts: sysvinit-core but 2.88dsf-53.3 is to be installed.
>>> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>>> Remove the following packages:
>>> 1) sysvinit-core
>>
>> You can either accept to remove sysvinit-core and run with systemd
>> only or install systemd-shim and you won't be prompted to install
>> systemd-sysv - and you'll be able to boot with sysvinit by default or
>> systemd if you add "init=/lib/systemd/systemd" to the kernel cmdline.
>> (the archives have this repeated a number of times!)

> systemd-shim is currently installed

OK, although it doesn't make sense. systemd-sysv shouldn't be pulled in.

This is on an "unstable" system:

# dpkg-query -W -f='${Package}\n${Version}\n${Status}\n\n'
{init,systemd,systemd-shim,systemd-sysv,sysvinit,sysvinit-core,udev}
init
1.20
install ok installed

systemd
208-7
install ok installed

systemd-shim
6-5
install ok installed

systemd-sysv

unknown ok not-installed

sysvinit
2.88dsf-55.2
install ok installed

sysvinit-core
2.88dsf-53.3
install ok installed

udev
208-7
install ok installed

# aptitude search -F%p '?depends(systemd-sysv)'
gpsd
init
libpam-systemd
sysvinit

# aptitude search -F%p '?depends(systemd-shim)'
libpam-systemd

# aptitude search -F%p '?depends(sysvinit-core)'
init
sysvinit

# apt-cache show gpsd | grep Depends
Depends: netbase | systemd-sysv, ...

# dpkg -L netbase
/.
/etc
/etc/rpc
/etc/protocols
/etc/services
/etc/network
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/netbase
/usr/share/doc/netbase/copyright
/usr/share/doc/netbase/changelog.gz

# apt-cache show netbase | grep Priority

Given the "Priority" of netbase, neither gpsd nor the other three
should be pulling in systemd-sysv unless you don't have sysvinit-core
or systemd-shim installed - although the "netbase | systemd-sysv" is
weird.

> Running with init=/bin/systemd makes networking stop working

IIRC, it's a question of moving the module options from "/etc/modules"
to "/etc/modprobe.d/<module>.conf" until the systemd maintainers
figure out how to do this on transition to systemd.

> And /bin/systemd is softlinked to /lib/systemd/systemd so I guess that
> is a non-difference

"/bin/systemd" is a Debianism but as you say it doesn't make a difference.