Re: End of hypocrisy ?

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 16:26:20 -0400
AW <debian.list.tracker@1024bits.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 22:15:08 +0300
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > The advantage of journald is that it captures more information
>  > because it runs much earlier and also because it captures stdin
>  > (?!) and stderr of daemons. The data has more metadata and is also
>  > better structured and indexed (hence the need for binary storage).
>
> I've seen this... However, I would prefer to take it several steps
> farther, and store the log data in a database; postgresql, of course,
> is there any other?  ... Think of this powerful use case:  given a
> server farm of 1000 or so hosts.  Each server has a write only ssl
> connection to an external postgresql database for log purposes.  Of
> course copies of the logs can be kept locally, but think of the
> security increase of not storing apache, mail, or even auth logs
> locally.  And think of the standardization that would come almost by
> default.  With a few well chosen queries, and a little R magic, the
> entire 1000 host server farm could be evaluated quickly in a report
> style that even management might understand...
>
> /sarc Perhaps this functionality is already built into systemd...
> and we'd never know until we look through the header files in the
> source code, and discover that - Yes! - journalctl
> REMOTE_LOGGING=2.5  means activate the secure remote pgsql
> capability... /sarc

I think you're on the right track Andrew. What we need is to make all
log files Software As A Service, with Web 2.0, so we can not only query
postgres for our server logs, but we can do it from any place in the
world. I suggest a Google-hosted service, because Google can supply the
search capabilities necessary so we can compare and contrast our
servers against those of others, and friend those with similar setups.

SteveT