Re: Device mac addy keeps changing

On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 18:55:36 -0400
Maureen L Thomas <silverorbspinner@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

 >Everytime wifi goes down I go back into the network tools and a
 >different dma is there.  I change it back to my router and it works
 >until I shut down.  When I reboot it, it is back to their dma.

I'm not sure what you mean here... and it looks like Bright House
provides quite a few router options.  Which one are you using?

When your wifi connection goes down, you connect to a Bright House
provided wireless/wired router through a wired connection - and
discover that either the wireless password in the router has been
changed or that the wireless SSID has been changed.  You then change
this setting back to your choice of setting and then can connect again?

Is that right?

Does the router password change?  Or does the router
SSID change? Or does the router allowed MAC address table change?

I gather from your email header information that you are using Debian
'wheezy' ... yes?

****

Generally network settings are controlled by a DHCP server running in
the authoritative router for the network.  In most home settings, this
is the ISP provided router.  If you'd like to setup 'static' routes, it
can be done several ways.  The best way is to use the DHCP server
settings to assign a static address to a hardware mac address.  The
common [but less general] way is to put your host address information
in:

/etc/network/interfaces

All settings in this file take precedence over the settings of
"Network Manager."  However, wireless settings become a problem,
because typically the wireless kernel driver loaded in the "wrong"
order during boot...

Anyway, before this reply gets too long and off target --- it would be
helpful if you could clarify your situation...

--Andrew