Re: End of hypocrisy ?

On Mon 04 Aug 2014 at 18:28:44 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 14:03:35 +0200
> Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > ​I've seen tons of posts sent to this list about systemd... bla bla
> > bla... and did not understand what's the matter with it.​
> >
> > ​I wonder what are you all doing with your init scripts which doesn't
> > work with systemd. So what?
> >
> > /r
>
> I can answer that with two reasons:
>
> 1) Binary log files. If you can't see what a radical departure that is
>    from the world of Unix, look again.

Looked twice. It is a radical departure.

> 2) Gratuitous interdependency. Part of the Unix Philosophy is that
>    programs should "do one thing and do it well." The user assembles a
>    functionality from many such small programs. Up to now, init was
>    just init. It started the computer, the /dev and /proc stuff, the
>    TTY's and the daemons, then pretty much got out of the way. Now here
>    comes systemd, requiring or encouraging even desktop environments to
>    require or suggest it.

systemd neither requires nor encourages DEs to use it. It does tempt in
a rather cheeky way, though. So much so that its allure has turned out
to be irresistable to upstream GNOME. Weak-kneeded and impressionable,
the lot of them!

>    Imagine if they replaced grep, cut, cat, diff, awk, sed, head, tail,
>    ls, and find with ks (stands for Kitchen Sink). You can do anything
>    you want with ks, but you need to know all its options and config
>    settings, and its myriad of idiosyncracies. And if it has bugs or
>    departures from documented behavior, as any program of its size is
>    likely to have at one time or another, everything breaks.

Hey, a sparkling idea. We could call the program "busybox" and try to
get it into d-i. Now, would it catch on elsewhere?

> So whether stuff works with systemd isn't the main problem, it's just
> icing on the cake when it *doesn't* work.

Yummy.