Re: fsck progress not shown on boot with systemd as pid 1

On 08/03/2014 02:12 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Brian wrote:

>>> Upstream for agetty responded to concerns about security from
>>> users, some of whom apparently had the compliance police
>>> breathing down their necks. My view on such idiocy is probably
>>> not for this list. The --noclear option rules here too.
>>
>> Where do you set this, exactly? /etc/inittab ?
>
> Note that Squeeze 6 /sbin/getting does not support --noclear so don't
> set this on Squeeze systems.  But for Wheezy 7 and later this
> snippet will make automate the change.  It is part of the standard
> system config for me.
>
>     if [ -f /etc/inittab ]; then
>       if grep -q '^1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty' /etc/inittab; then
> 	log "Fixing getty --noclear in /etc/inittab"
> 	sed --in-place '/^1/s/getty 38400/getty --noclear 38400/' /etc/inittab
> 	kill -1 1  # Tell init to re-read the inittab file.
>       fi
>     fi

And, again, where do you put this? I could easily see running it by hand
(or just making the changes by hand), of course, but the fact that you
have even so minorly complex a code snippet for it seems to imply that
you have it written down somewhere to run automatically.

>> (If so, what about for systemd? /etc/inittab is much about
>> runlevels, which systemd doesn't use AFAIK.)
>
> As you may have figured out anything you have learned about Unix-like
> systems over the last forty years is thrown out with systemd since
> it is a completely new operating system.  Everything is different
> with systemd.  Nothing previously learned applies to it.

That being part of the reason for objecting to it so much, though
certainly not all, or even necessarily one of the most important parts.

>> I don't generally have much problem with reading the boot messages
>> as they scroll past, but my short-term memory isn't always as sharp
>> as I'd like, so I'd like to be able to refer back to them after
>> they scroll off-screen anyway.
>
> I think they are available for terminal scrollback.  I just tried to
> verify this just now but I don't even have a full screen of boot
> messages and therefore can't page back because it is less than one
> page.  But I think if it is more than one page that you can use the
> terminal page keys to scroll back into the terminal window history.

Before reaching the login prompt, yes, you can scroll back (if no new
messages are being printed to yank you back down to the bottom, anyway).
However, once the screen is cleared for the login prompt, in my
experience you can't scroll back.

I'd guess it might work something like the way switching away from (or
possibly "to"?) a terminal with Alt+F[1-7] seems to truncate that
terminal's display buffer to just the most recent screenful, with the
result that you can't scroll back to anything before that point. I
haven't done any actual research into the question, though.

(Also, how do you have less than a screen of boot messages? I end up
with more than that just from the mounting of partitions plus the
starting of services, and while I do have a few more partitions than
some people might, it's certainly not hugely excessive. I'd estimate
that I get something between 2 and 5 screens of boot messages, normally,
not counting special-occasion things like automatic-fsck output.)

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.