Re: Retaining Older Kernels After Image Update

On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 10:58:10AM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Sunday 03 August 2014 01:38:56 Chris Bannister wrote:
> > Weird. So on these systems there are old packages which haven't been
> > removed by the package manager?
>
> And on my Debian Wheezy system.  I have four kernels, including three from
> Backports: 3.2, 3.12, 3.13, 3.14.  I have removed 3.10 and 3.11.  I
> originally installed 3.10 from Backports.
>
> Upgrading never seems to remove a kernel and never has.

They are individual separate packages, not upgrades of the same one.
If you have the kernel meta package installed, then if it gets upgraded
it will pull in the latest kernel.

e.g: (on Jessie)
apt-cache show linux-image-amd64
[..]
Depends: linux-image-3.14-1-amd64
[..]

I forgot about this meta package when I responded to the OP. Maybe he
hasn't got it installed?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X