Re: Skype access cancelled for Debian versions before 7

On 03/08/2014, AW <debian.list.tracker@1024bits.com> wrote:

<snip>

> So, for many users a Skype client is necessary... unless Microsoft
> decided to work on making Skype fully interoperable with other SIP
> servers.  Although, I somehow doubt this would ever happen.
>
> But... To the OP... Debian 6 is no longer a supported version.
> Updating shouldn't be too hard as long as the machine is your own.  And
> I seriously doubt anyone can truly expect a new version of a freely
> offered [not free] software package to be built for a now unsupported
> OS.

I did not expect for a new version of Skype, to be wriiten for me or
for Debian 6.

But, it is a bit like imposing a ban on all IPV4 communications -
"well we now have IPV6, so anyone with IPV4 can go and get stuffed",
or, imposing crippleware on all operating systems and applications -
"well you have now had that software available for <6 months | 1 year
| 2 years> and so, we have built in automated death of the software.
It does not work anymore. You have to replace it. It is not our
problem that you did not know that it was going to die suddenly. We
posted a notice at Alpha Centauri, so it is your responsibility to
find the notice and be informed that the end has come."

It is kind of like that thing with the cars that decided that they did
not like the conditions, so they turned themselves off, and came to a
stop, in the middle of heavy freeway traffic.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."