Re: /dev/random

On 07/31/2014 04:41 PM, pecondon@mesanetworks.net wrote:
Just how often do you have to poke at the keyboard? And
when you do poke at it, about how many key presses do you make before
you get the number of bits you requested?

Whenever I do a fresh system build, I use /dev/random to generate a 32 byte LUKS key:

    # dd if=/dev/random of=/root/.luks-keyfile bs=1 count=32
    32+0 records in
    32+0 records out
    32 bytes (32 B) copied, 36.2822 s, 0.0 kB/s

If the machine has been recently booted, /dev/random blocks (note run time in final line of example, above). I typically run ping, CVS, or other network related commands in another terminal until /dev/random completes, believing that processor interrupts also feed the random number entropy pool (?). Typically a half dozen such commands are enough.

I'm wondering is this a
event with which many Debianers are quite familiar, or is it more
like something of a rare event that people know about, but most
have never actually had it happen to them?

I encounter the above case several times each year.

HTH,

David