Re: mutt can't send mail (Interrupted system call)

Brian wrote:
> Tony Baldwin wrote:
> > I have copied the muttrc for this account to
> > http://tonyb.myownsite.me/pages/muttrc.txt (password removed, of course).
> > Same muttrc on both the server and desktop.
> > mutt works perfectly with both accounts from the server, not from the
> > desktop.

Same version of mutt on both machines?  Or different versions of mutt?
If different which version is in which place?

> > For this reason, I don't think the rc file is significant, since it
> > works on one machine fine, but what the heck...worth a shot.

I haven't heard that this was solved for you yet.  Has it been?  I
have been away from the computer for a week.

> At the very least it allows us to see that the line
>
>   set smtp_url = "smtp://tonyb@myownsite.me:PASSWORDHERE@mail.myownsite.me:25"
>
> looks sensible and correct.

Hmm...  The doc on smtp_url says:

  3.265. smtp_url

  Type: string
  Default: (empty)

  Defines the SMTP smarthost where sent messages should relayed for delivery.
  This should take the form of an SMTP URL, e.g.:

  smtp[s]://[user[:pass]@]host[:port]

  where "[...]" denotes an optional part. Setting this variable overrides the
  value of the $sendmail variable.

But the above has two '@' parts in it.  If you tell me that the
username is "tonyb@myownsite.me" then I will ask "how is the parser
supposed to know this and not split it at the first '@' sign?  Maybe
that is the problem.  Note that I haven't ever used smtp_url before.

> It also confirms that on the desktop you are not using exim as the
> MTA but the MTA built into mutt. This MTA will contact the MTA on
> myownsite.me (postfix), which will relay the mail.

I also wonder if local machine mail makes it out.  It would be
interesting to know if "echo test | mailx -s test tonyb@myownsite.me"
works.  I suspect it isn't configured to work.  If that were
configured to work then none of the above would be needed and you
could just use the /usr/sbin/sendmail default for sending email and
everything else would work too.

In any case the Postfix logs should say something about the problem.
It should log that the mail was attempted and if rejected why it was
rejected.

> You have an account with gmx.com; a mail sent to that account with the
> line above unaltered might be expected to be recorded in postfix's logs.
> Is it?

For debugging SMTP things I find "swaks" (Swiss Army Knife SMTP) to be
useful.  I would try it.  Not sure I can get your exact case going on
the first try but I think it would be something like this:

  swaks --to tonyb@myownsite.me --server mail.myownsite.me --auth-user=tonyb --auth-password=PASS

That will show something like this:

  220 myownsite.me ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
  EHLO joseki.proulx.com
  250-myownsite.me
  250-PIPELINING
  250-SIZE 30720000
  250-VRFY
  250-ETRN
  250-STARTTLS
  250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
  250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
  250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
  250-8BITMIME
  250 DSN

And then it will try to authenticate.  I personally disable PLAIN
authentication.  I don't like to enable a sniff-able protocol.

But in any case you should see an SMTP exchange.  That should help
debug the problem.  The Postfix logs will also log this exchange.
Comparing the problem case to the working case to the debug case
should show some type of clue as to the problem.

Bob