Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On 07/18/2014 02:51 PM, Brian wrote:

> On Fri 18 Jul 2014 at 13:19:21 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

>> I think (not having done the research to verify this) that the idea
>> is that some - many? - packages need PAM, and depend (perhaps
>> indirectly) on an appropriate package for that, but that package
>> now depends (perhaps indirectly) on libpam-systemd, which depends
>> on 'systemd-sysv | systemd-shim', which results in systemd-sysv
>> getting installed without notice, even though the original package
>> didn't need systemd in the first place.
>>
>> The only ways I can see to break this dependency would be to either
>> pull the needed functionality out of systemd (which apparently is
>> considered hard enough to not be worth doing, at least by the
>> systemd upstream) or reverse the order of that '|' dependency,
>> which I believe has been rejected on the not unreasonable grounds
>> that it would result in not installing systemd even for people who
>> *don't* care about having it. (As well as on the grounds that
>> systemd-shim won't continue to provide the needed functionality for
>> newer systemd versions, unless people update it in ways that
>> haven't happened yet.)
>
> The objection to 'systemd-shim | systemd-sysv' was on the more
> objective grounds that systemd-sysv provides the *default* init
> system.

I see that as the reason why "people who don't care which one they have
won't get systemd" would be considered a problem, not as a separate
grounds of its own.

> It remains to be seen whether systemd-shim is a dead-end.

Apparently it *has* gotten some form of the needed updates, there's just
some packaging snafu resulting in the updated version's being delayed.
With any luck, that should be resolved soon.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.