Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

Le 10.07.2014 19:38, Steve Litt a écrit :
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 10:29:02 +0200
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

Le 09.07.2014 23:06, Steve Litt a écrit :
> Anyone who regularly uses nohup for this kind of thing should try
> the following:
>
> find / -type f -name nohup.out -exec ls -l {} +

Well... this, or simply append a "> /dev/null" in the end of the
command :)

I think you meant, do this:

Pardon me, I was not clear enough.
I was just saying that, instead of running your usual "$nohup foo", one could simply run "$nohup foo > /dev/null"

I never pipe anything directly into a delete command, I'm too chicken.
What I usually do is something more like this:

find / -type f -name nohup.out -exec ls -l {} + > danger.sh

Then I edit danger.sh to do the proper deletions, and remove anything I
don't want to delete. Then I do this:

. ./danger.sh

rm -f danger.sh

This is an interesting approach, so I'm not so unhappy by my bad reply. As you, I do not jun run my delete commands without testing, instead I run the command twice: one which prints the list of files to delete, then the one which actually deletes them, with some reading between them. But in the situation that I would have tons of files, or if some sensible file is added between the 2 commands, this would be dangerous, unlike your approach. Thanks for sharing.