Re: How to make preseed.cfg available in no-internet install?

On 07/04/2014 04:25 PM, Brian wrote:

> On Fri 04 Jul 2014 at 15:17:14 -0400, Kynn Jones wrote:
>
>> In an installation from CD (or, second best: USB stick) with no
>> internet access, how can I make a preseed.cfg file available to the
>> Debian installer as early as possible in the install sequence?
>>
>> The preseed.cfg originally lives in a separate USB stick.  (I don't
>> want to burn the preseed.cfg into the installation CD, since I
>> still want to be able to tweak it easily.)
>
> Not having the preseed file in the initrd rules out making a
> preseed.cfg file available earlier than you aleady do.
>
>> I found one approach, but it's laborious enough to make using a
>> preseed.cfg hardly worth it.  Basically, I hit TAB to edit the
>> Graphic Install menu option; I add priority=critical auto=true
>> file=/unavailable/path/to/preseed.cfg; I hit enter and let the
>> installer fail to find the preseed.cfg file; I get a shell and do
>
> Even with file=/path/to/preseed.cfg the installer will fail to find
> the file anyway because the device it is on has to be mounted. This
> you do below.
>
>> mkdir /mnt/usb && mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb && exit
>>
>> Then I select to re-read the preseed.cfg file from the installer's
>> menu.
>
> What problem are you trying to solve?

I expect that (he?) wants to have the process be more-or-less fully
automated - i.e., have the mouting and whatever else is necessary for
the installer to recognize and use the (externally located) preseed file
be handled automatically, preferably without even needing to explicitly
specify the preseed-file location at install time.

Assuming the initrd used in the installer environment is customizable /
tweakable, this shouldn't be impossible, but I'd have to do some
research to figure out how to go about it. (Worst-case scenario, you
might have to do a custom build of d-i...)

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.