Re: GTK crashing X?

On 6/30/2014 10:43 AM, Brian wrote:
On Mon 30 Jun 2014 at 10:23:38 -0700, Matt Ventura wrote:

Well, all I did was netinstall stable with xfce, log in once,
add testing repos, and dist-upgrade. I could just try directly
netinstalling testing, and if it's broken out of the box then
it's almost certainly a bug, right?
You could try:

1. Install without choosing Xfce. Untick the desktop item when asked to
    select software.

2. You'll boot into a tty. Login and and change sources.lst to "jessie".

3. Update, upgrade and dist-upgrade.

4. Reboot. Login and

	apt-get task-xfce-desktop

    or

	apt-get xfce4 lightdm

    The first gives you what d-i gives you. The second has fewer packages
    but is fine. I'd choose the latter.

5. Reboot.

6. Hopefully report success. :)

Nope, installed lightdm after doing a dist-upgrade and rebooting, still
has the same issue. Starts X, displays a cursor for a couple seconds,
then crashes and repeatedly tries to restart lightdm.

I'm still wondering if it has something to do with the video card, since
another issue is that when I dist-upgrade and it upgrades GRUB, it tries
to do a graphical boot, but it gets the monitor refresh rate wrong and
can't display the menu. I have to manually set it to a lower resolution
(native is 1280x1024) to get it to work.