Re: is this sensible?

Le 29.06.2014 00:25, Vincent Lefevre a écrit :
On 2014-06-25 14:26:03 +0200, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
This is the problem with non interactive tools: if you do not master the non
interactive tool, you do not have real control on it.

I have learn a lot of things because I used aptitude with it's ncurses interface. It features a preview mode, in which you can see why things are done. With this knowledge, you will be able to customize the behavior made
by your update.

In complex cases (like this one?), aptitude is worse than apt-get to
find the right dependencies. It sometimes wants to remove a package
instead of upgrading it, see e.g.

(the ncurses interface, which I always use by default, has the same
problem).

Well, I **never** use the aptitude's solutions.

One of the first things I do when using aptitude on a new computer is disabling the "auto-repair feature" and automatic installation of recommended packages. Then, when I do some action which breaks something, I can fix it by hand, using my own choices, assisted with the preview of the actions that I use like a summary of the actions to do/stuff to fix.

I know that it probably needs more time than simply asking to softwares to guess what you want, but I am a programmer, and I know that a program can never guess what I have in mind, which solution I will prefer. Especially since I do behave differently regarding computer choices than most people.