Re: is this sensible?

On 2014-06-29 12:52:40 +0200, François Patte wrote:
> Le 29/06/2014 12:35, Brian a écrit :
> > If that is what you really want to do you are not going about it in
> > the right way.
> >
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/05/msg01042.html
>
> Not sure of what you mean here...

Not sure either what Brian meant.

> If it is that systemd is unavoidable, [...]

The systemd package is not needed by gthumb's strict dependencies
(by "strict" I mean that you need to disable recommends explicitly).
But you may have other packages that, once upgraded to satisfy
dependencies, now depend on systemd (I would not be surprised).

You could first try to remove all GNOME-related packages (since some
major GNOME components now depend on the systemd package[*]), then
upgrade your system to unstable, then reinstall gthumb without
recommends.

However gthumb 3.3.x is broken without the GNOME desktop:

(I still use gthumb 3:3.2.6-1+b1, which is no longer in Debian
distributions, but can be retrieved from the snapshots.)

[*] Using the sysvinit system is still OK, though.