Re: Virtualized desktop

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Bzzzz <lazyvirus@gmx.com> wrote:
>> My IaaS provider has switched from LVM to ZFS, so I think this is
>> for some reason...
>
> Two in one compared to LVM+whatever, not to mention failure
> of LVM or whatever usually clobbers the whole thing (definitely),
> integrated snapshots, insane size of a volume & file (256 ZiB
> & 16EiB), transparent compression & encryption, small stuffs like
> that.

Plus it can replace software RAID as well (at least for RAID1). I'm
looking into it as my next experiment.
Assuming it works well under Xen (or vice-versa actually).

With LVM i create a logical volume, format it (or not), and give it to
a Xen guest as a physical drive which will then hold the OS (which may
have different FSs). I'll have to grok how ZFS does that.