Re: Synaptic messed up

On Saturday 28 June 2014 00:57:03 Maureen L Thomas wrote:
> On 06/27/2014 03:18 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> >> # wheezy-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
> >> # A network mirror was not selected during install.  The following
> >> entries # are provided as examples, but you should amend them as
> >> appropriate # for your mirror of choice.
> >> #
> >> # debhttp://ftp.debian.org/debian/  wheezy-updates main contrib
> >> debhttp://http.us.debian.org/debian/  wheezy contrib non-free main
> >> debhttp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian  wheezy-backports main non-free
> >> deb-srchttp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian  wheezy-backports main non-free
> >> debhttp://debian.cc.lehigh.edu/debian/  wheezy-updates main
> >> deb-srchttp://debian.cc.lehigh.edu/debian/  wheezy-updates main
> >> # deb-srchttp://ftp.debian.org/debian/  wheezy-updates main contrib
> >>
> >> This is what I got when I did
> >>
> >> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> >
> > Sorry for delay.  Different time-zones!
> >
> > That needs sorting!
> >
> > I should have asked:  What GUI/DE (Graphical User Interface/Desktop
> > Environment) are you using?  (So I know what editors you are likely to
> > have. Yes, this can be done with Vi/Vim, but doesn't need to be.)  You
> > need to edit that!  I don't wonder that Synaptic is a little confused!
> > The beginnings of all the lines are all run together.  It is also all
> > over the shop.
> >
> > Dealing with it can be quite easy.  Just let us know the answer to the
> > above question.
> >
> > Lisi
>
> I use Gnome 3.  This is a new problem since I have used Debian for about
> 18 months and have never had this problem.

I would recommend (I think that this will work with GNOME 3):
Alt-F2-> gksu gedit -> <enter> -> enter password -> <enter>

When gedit opens as root, open /ect/apt/sources.list
Save as /etc/apt/sources.list.old
This is not likely to be needed with your current sources.list, but is good
practice when you are going to be changing an important file.
Now, I have neither Gnome nor Gedit here, so I am probebly being a little
over-complicated in what I am going to say, but I am sure that it will work.
<save as> again and save as /etc/apt/sources.list.  Now delete everything and
resave, still as /etc/apt/sources.list.

Go to:
https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
Copy specimen sources.list and paste into your Gedit window.  Save.  Add
contrib and non-free if wanted.  Save again.

Go into Synaptic and update.  Upgrade as desired.  All should now be well.  If
not, ask again.

Personally, I would now delete the backup copy of your old sources.list.

HTH
Lisi