Re: rsync of mtp://[usb:001,012]/ ?

Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> writes:

>  Hi.
>
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 06:41:08AM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> I have a mobile phone and a kindle fire, both of which can be manually
>> mounted, but they are given names like "mtp://[usb:002,042]/" currently
>> the kindle fire. And "mtp://[usb:001,012]/" which is the mobile
>> phone.
>>
>> How can I do a rsync backup of them both, or any backup at all really,
>> just in case the martians invade, again! :)
>
> If it's really mounted (for example, back in the old days nautilus
> didn't mount smb shares, although it could access them just fine) - all
> you need to do is to run 'mount' and examine existing mountpoints.
> Presumably your devices are mounted either somewhere inside your $HOME,
> or inside /run/media/$USER. And if you get a mountpoint - it's a simple
> matter of running 'rsync -Hax $MOUNTPOINT $YOUR_BACKUP'.

Neither of them show in "mount", although I know that I can mount either
using "jmtpfs /media/galaxy". But doing that gives a very flakey
connection, prone to dropping it or i/o errors. Neither of which are
conducive for a successful backup! And currently, only the mobile is
showing in 'lsusb' even though the kindle is mounted as well!

The mtp protocol/file system is very problematic and doesn't appear to
be handled well by linux at the moment, but I return to it every few
months in the hope that it has progressed!

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.91.1