Prevent upstream packages from replacing locally modified packages

Hello.

I have created a local package repository that I access over my local network using NFS. I have so far used this repository for managing packages that I want to install but that are not distributed with Debian. This works fine but I have now run into a situation where I want to take a package that already exists in Debian, change it and rebuild it and distribute on my own machines. This creates a potential problem:

The potential scenario is that I rebuild the source package with my changes and installs it on my own machines. Some time later the version of the package in Debian is updated slightly. My machines see that there is an update in Debian and installs it, replacing the custom package including my changes.

Is there a way for me to configure Debian so that if a package is installed from my local repository then updates to those packages should only be installed from that same repository?

Thank you!