Re: fastest linux distro

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 06:50:22AM +0200, Gour wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> writes:
>
> > If so, then still resizing and moving windows by the mouse is missing,
>
> This is also possible...
>
> > assumed even this isn't missing, then it's not a tiling WM anymore.
>
> ...but not to the extent that tiling does not work.
>
> Moreover, every Tiling WM I was using so far had the ability to 'float'
> windows which is required/useful for programs like Gimp, so it seems to
> be that your definition of either DE or WM is lacking a bit. ;)

I would say you've misunderstood something.
A window manager manages windows.
This is what sawfish, openbox, wmii, tritium, and various other packages
do. They manage windows, and that's it.
That's why I like to use openbox. It manages windows and otherwise stays
out of my way/doesn't make decisions for me or hold my hand.
A Desktop Environment is a whole suite of tools for managing a desktop
experience. It usually includes a window manager (sometimes
interchangeable, like, you can use openbox, a wm with xfce, lxde, kde,
etc.), as well as various other programs (as mentioned, editor, terminal
emulator, often multimedia software, office software, etc., i.e., a lot
of handholding or making decisions for the user).
Tiling has nothing to do with the definition of a DE or WM.
--
https://tonybaldwin.info
art, music, software by me, tony