Re: iptables, virtualbox and port forwarding

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 7:04 PM,  <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
> What I basically want to do, and I do not understand how they ( my
> programmer colleagues ) can happily live without that, is a server for
> source versionning, bug tracking, wikis, etc. This stuff does not need any
> virtual system or network, and is relatively easy to deploy.

Thanks to distributed version control systems (the current generation,
with git and hg being the two most popular and full-featured), you
don't need a "source control server", so you can just start using git
on your own computer until someone else is convinced that it's
worthwhile. (That's what I did at my last job. Believe it or not, I
spent a couple of *years* using git solely on my own computer, before
the boss was willing to give it a shot. He did, however, maintain
constant backups, including weekly burn-to-optical; and once convinced
of the value of source control, he promised - not that this ever
happened, mind - to go through all the backups and import everything
into a new repository, so stuff could be found.)

And if you have a source repo, it's amazing how far you can get
without an explicit bug tracker - just keep a text file (or a
directoryful of text files, depending on how many bugs you're
responsible for) in your source tree. As you find and fix bugs, you'll
change code and also update the BUGS file or directory, so it's
automatically linked.

But I absolutely agree. Push for those kinds of features.

> But, and it is why I need this virtual and iptables stuff, I would like to
> simulate the production environment of our main client. Would you trust me
> if I say that currently, testing ( beta ) and development ( alpha ) versions
> of softwares are directly sent on production servers? It hurt me a lot ( and
> not only because it is bad and disgusting: it also makes everything a lot
> more complex ), so I want to have a replica of that network in our own
> network. 2 replicas, in fact, one for testing, and another for programming,
> so that automated tests ( which are currently lacking, too ) could be made.

If you can't manage it with iptables, can you possibly do it with
virtualization? Build up an entire LAN on top of one computer - I'm
not sure about other systems, but recent versions of VirtualBox let
you easily connect multiple VMs together onto a virtual LAN, using NAT
between that and the rest of the host computer.

It's not easy for a junior employee to make sweeping changes, even if
they are bringing the company in line with well-known best practices.
Hoping to find something that you can do entirely under your own
control. :)

ChrisA