Re: poor wifi connection

On 05/28/2014 08:43 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
[CC me please]
For me please follow-up to the mailing list only and I will read it there.

I am trying to diagnose why my wifi connection is so bad from my
current laptop. If I reboot into windows 7 (default OS when shipped)
everything is working nicely.
When you say "so bad" can you quantify this?  Is it low signal
strength?  Is it many retries?  Is it poor data rates?

http://pastebin.com/h2Mc1rF3
I do not see anything abvious from the log file. Does anyone see any
obvious mistake (misconfiguration) I could have ?
I didn't see anything jumping out at me.

Just a shot in the dark...  Do you have the "crda" package installed?
What geographic region do you live in?  Without the crda things will
default to a default global value.  With crda installed you can set
your specific region in /etc/default/crda and that may have some
benefit in terms of power levels.

Another shot in the dark...  I have had both the ipw2200 and the
iwl3945 devices in various laptops.  I don't know why but sometimes
that driver will get into a bad state and need to be unloaded and
loaded again.  reloading the driver will often solve strange problems
on my ThinkPads.

   rmmod ipw2200 ; sleep 1; modprobe ipw2200
Or:
   rmmod iwl3945 ; sleep 1; modprobe iwl3945

Maybe something similar for your driver would be helpful?  Note that I
am just guessing while trying to be helpful but do not know for sure.

Bob

Sometimes the available software is too new for the wifi circuits.
A short while ago, when running an older Dell laptop with a Broadcom
card in it, I found that it would not work with the current kernel.
(Running pclos-32 KDE on that laptop.) I had to find an earlier kernel
(which I did find on an earlier LIVE disk) and on that  it ran.
I don't know if you can find an earlier kernel for your distro,
or perhaps using lshw you can find out what the wireless
card is, and then see if you can find a driver that fits that card.

--doug