Re: preferred overlay/union filesystem?

Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 5:47 AM, Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer@cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
>> Well, I don't want to keep two separate files (that's what I'm trying to
>> get away from).  It seems like the overlay filesystem would be a bit
>> cleaner if it can work, but symbolic links elsewhere would be my second
>> choice.
>>

> As a variant of Kushal's suggestion of two symlinks to the same file,
> you could have the real file in one place (preferably where it's
> written to) and a symlink to it from the other place.

If I understand the situation correctly, only one of the locations will
be accessible at any time.  When the user logs in, the original files
will be hidden under the files provided by the encrypted filesystem.
So, both files are actually ~/.bogofilter (say), just at different
times.  So you cannot have a symlink from one location to the other.

--
regards,
kushal