Installing Thunderbird

Dear List -

Will you please give me instructions how to install Thunderbird. I've tried multiple methods listed on the web to no avail. I am not satisfied with Icedove; eg, never have been able to start from the desktop icon, inability to prevent it from running in the background, which makes it impossible to read my email from webmail, since icedove is set to remove the mail from the server after it is downloaded.

Running Debian testing [Jessie] 64 bit system, and a POP3 email system.

TIA

Ethan