Re: want to revert back to gnome classic mode.

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 12:51:34AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-05-25 at 00:27 +0200, Filip wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 May 2014 21:50:32 +0200
> > Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> > > I use  feh --bg-scale  for my Arch's JWM, but  Esetroot -m  for my
> > > Debian's JWM. Perhaps Esetroot is obsolete.
> > >

> > Both are fine.
> >
> > > Did anybody already mention a terminal emulation? IMO a good terminal
> > > emulation is ROXterm
> >
> > Yes, Roxterm is basically what gnome-terminal would and should be if it
> > wasn't crippled by gnome.
> >
> > > and Sublime Text might be a good editor, I still
> > > tend to use Pluma (quasi Gedit).
> > >

> > There are only two editors worth learning: emacs and vi/vim. Both are
> > very different and each has it's fans.
>
> Using Pluma with root privileges indeed is bad, but emacs and vi/vim are
> not that intuitive to use as a GUI editor is. Without a GUI I use nano
> for basic editing, or if everything should break vi/m. Learning emacs
> isn't wise, since vi/m is a core component (world) for *nix.

Vim is the only editor you will ever need. Ever.
I use openbox, often without any panels or other DE stuff,
or just conky in the corner to display time/date, cpu/mem net up/down,
or if I want a panel, fbpanel.
I definitely don't need or want a full-blown DE.
Openbox does what I need, manages windows, allows me to configure
keybindings, and otherwise stays out of my way.
Terminator is my chosen terminal, vim my editor, if I need/want to use a
graphical file manager, pcmanfm is my default (although I just tried out
the xfe someone mentioned. Pretty nice.)

If you want desktop icons on openbox (I don't), you can use idesk.

I add a lot of keybindings to my rc.xml to get a lot of keyboard control
to do stuff, launch frequently used apps, etc.
I have feh set my wallpaper on login, but if I want to change it while
logged in, I use nitrogen, which is a graphical tool for that.
There's also gsetroot, another graphical wallpaper/background setting
thingy.

tony
--
https://tonybaldwin.info