Re: search engines (hijacked from rapidly proliferating sess files )

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 09:59:40PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Joel Rees writes:
> > The question of how evil google is/was/is becoming aside...
>
> Google search works just fine with all ads, cookies, scripts, and
> trackers blocked.

Which is essentially exactly what startpage.com gives you.
Or, really, it gives Google results without the search bubble from tracking.
Google gives me what it thinks I want to see, based on prior activity,
all its tracking of me, its knowledge of my location, political
affiliations, activities, etc. so the results are not "objective".
Startpage.com (owned and run by ixquick.com which I also use),
gives the objective, unfiltered google results, no tracking, no
manipulation.
startpage and ixquick are the search engines I use most, but I also do
use duckduckgo for some things (easy for unit conversions, timezone
conversions, and stuff).

tony

--
https://tonybaldwin.info