Accelerated driver for Intel video driver?

I hope I don't run afoul of the self-imposed list monitors or otherwise fan a flame war...:)

I have been using nvidia cards in my computers for so long that I haven't really kept up with the state of Intel...

My problem is that when I try to play a video on this machine, either with mplayer or vlc, the video starts, and I will get about 1/2" of the frame that is actually playing, usually it is at the top. The audio plays normally. This happens whether in a window or full screen.

The machine in question is a Dell Inspiron 5537 laptop with 6GB of RAM that has an Intel Haswell ULT video card in it. lspci shows me:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Dell Device 05e9

Looking through /var/log/Xorg.0.log, it appears to be loading several modules, including

[ 36918.029] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[ 36918.127] (II) LoadModule: "intel"
[ 36918.168] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
[ 36918.195] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"
[ 36918.197] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
[ 36918.219] (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
[ 36918.248] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
[ 36918.293] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
[ 36919.740] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
[ 36919.926] (II) LoadModule: "synaptics"

Other apps seem to behave normally. I can play youtube videos, for example. Please let me know what other information I can provide.

Thanks,
--b